HELP! What you need to know to file your BC Speculation and Vacancy Tax exemption

Image result for bc speculation tax

The new Speculation and Vacancy Tax requires annual declaration based off ownership as of December 31st each year

How much is the tax?Image result for bc speculation tax

·        0.5% for Canadian residents and permanent residents (possible future increase to 1% )

·        2% for Foreign owners




Now that you know some basic information on the tax, this is what you need to do in order to exempt yourself from the tax:

 Register your property by March 31st, 2019 by phone or online using the information you will receive in the mail sometime in February.

  • From the letter you will need the Letter ID and Declaration Code to proceed with your declaration.
  • All owners (registered on title) must submit separate declarations (including spouse, children, family, etc. depending on title)
  • The letter will list all the residential properties you own.
  • Contact the Government of BC if you have not received your letter by late February.

Other information on the Speculation and Vacancy Tax

·        The speculation and vacancy tax is distinct from the empty homes tax in the City of Vancouver.

·        If a residential property has multiple owners, tax is divided among each owner based on their ownership share. For example, if you and your spouse are equal owners of a residential property in a taxable region, you’ll each owe tax on 50% of the home’s assessed value.

 Paying the Tax

·        If you owe speculation and vacancy tax, your payment is due by July 2, 2019.

·        You can pay the tax using the Government of BC’s online payment system, through your personal financial institution, by cheque, or in person at a Service BC Centre.


For detailed and up-to-date information please visit the BC Government Website